Monday, May 21, 2007

What bird is this?


What bird is this?
Originally uploaded by PACNWTXN.
This crazy bird had no fear of us or our camera. This pic was taken less than a foot from the bird. While I barbecued a brisket, this mother bird was cruising through the yard digging for worms. She would fly away abruptly (to feed it to her young?) and then come back a few minutes later. My question: What kind of bird is this? I know that there are some avid birders who read this blog who may be able to help...

5 Comments:

At 1:50 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a European Starling to me. They are crazy birds, and wake me up every morning at ... 2 AM!!

 
At 11:01 AM PDT, Blogger PacNWTxn said...

Cool, thanks anonymous!

 
At 6:40 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my least favorite birds - a European Starling. A bird imported early in the 20th century and is an invasive species. It steals nests and shoves other native species, like woodpeckers and bluebirds, out of their niches. grrr...

 
At 8:46 AM PDT, Blogger PacNWTxn said...

Funny that you mention that - a few days after posting this, we saw a Starling being chased out of a yard by some other angry bird. I'll learn my birds, one by one...

 
At 7:28 PM PDT, Blogger Pam said...

Looks like a Texas bird to me. Guess he smelled the BBQ cooking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home